Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Best Friends...But Not Forever.

Anyone who has ever been through high school knows that at times, you can make friends for life there while others show up before or after that period. However, this isn’t the case for me. Back then, I had this one friend and we were nearly inseparable. So what happened? Life happened.
As we went off to college, we drifted to different campuses. We each began our own separate lives, which is normal. However, he started dating shortly after. This forever changed the dynamic. What was once a close duo was now a trio. I did not learn that eventually, he would have to make a choice between me and his girl. Looking back on it now, I still think he made the right decision, even though the process wasn’t quite right.
One day while having some friends over, she was going through some of my electronics when I advised not to. However, two unfortunate elements mixed in what became a very bad event for everyone. First element: she kept insisting on going through my belongings when I advised not to. Second element: my short fuse. I have a problem with redundancy. The more I have to repeat myself, the more irritated I seem to get.
I admit, I did not handle that well at all. I yelled at her not to touch anything. I lost a grip on my composure, which was the first step to losing a good friend. And why not? I just yelled at his girl. Also, a man should never yell at a lady for any reason. What I did was uncalled for and I have nobody to blame but myself for losing that friend.
Afterwards, we began drifting apart. I had to apologize to both of them on multiple occasions due to my inappropriate behavior, but also because I didn’t want them gone. Unfortunately, it led to the inevitable end of our close friendship. Years later we were able to briefly reconcile, however it was unable to restore the way things used to be.
And yet, the separation is what led to me becoming the way I am now. Looking back, my own personal growth was due to one of my biggest mistakes. We aren’t perfect, but if we can try to learn from our mistakes, then we are headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment